4to and folio. Vols. 1-45. The run comprises a complete set of the folio plate vols. for 1836-73 , a complete set of the quarto text vols. for the same period, and a complete set of the combined folio-size text and plate vols. for 1874-1880. (Vols. 33 and 34, for 1868 and 1869, were issued as one combined volume of plates and one combined volume of text). The run also includes , bound in twelve further quarto volumes, a complete set of the separately paginated supplements issued between 1837 and 1866 , comprising : Literatur und Anzeigeblatt (1837-42, 1843-49, 1850-1855, 1856-60, 1861-65); Literatur (1866); Ephemeriden (1844-48); Notizblatt (1848-53, 1854-55, 1856-60, 1861-65); and a printed index volume for the period 1836-55. The set was collated with the greatest care some twenty years ago or more by an Austrian antiquarian bookseller , who found that it lacked just 18 text pages and 9 plates, all of which he was able to supply in good photocopy except for vol. 7 , pp.273-4. Uniformly bound in contemporary quarter morocco, printed board sides. Fold-out illustration in text vol. 10 cut at fold and rejoined together. Some pages misbound, and occasional light spotting or foxing in earlier volumes, but generally in very good condition. 19th century ink ownership inscription of Werner Ritter von Stockert (?) on front free endpaper of the Notizblatt volume for 1861-65 .
A particularly good run of the Viennese periodical Allgemeine Bauzeitung, the longest lasting, most international in its coverage and in many ways the best European architectural periodical of the nineteenth century. It is an unrivalled source for designs and projects by the leading Austrian, German and Central European architects of the time, and from the start it also featured major buildings by architects in France, Britain, Italy and elsewhere. Founded in 1836, the periodical was edited by the architect Ludwig Förster until his death in 1863, and Förster’s own active involvement with the planning of Vienna’s Ringstrasse, for which he had won the initial competition in 1839, made his periodical the obvious place to publicise the new buildings erected along the Ringstrasse by such distinguished architects as Heinrich von Ferstel, Friedrich von Schmidt and the expatriate Dane Theophilos Hansen (who had married Förster’s daughter). Förster and his editorial successors – these included Förster’s sons Emil and Heinrich, who took over after his death but who obviously found the brief too challenging, and were replaced in 1868 by August Köstlin as executive editor, with Ferstel, Hansen, and Schmidt as advisory editorial colleagues – were also deeply interested in contemporary architecture both elsewhere in Europe and even in the USA, and their breadth of outlook makes Allgemeine Bauzeitung a necessary source for any one who today wishes to get an overall view of the development of architecture between the 1830s and early in the twentieth century. The periodical’s carefully drawn engraved and lithographic plate volumes added to its prestige, and provide an admirable visual record of the architectural styles of the period. The life of the periodical extended to 1918, but no absolutely complete set has come on the market in recent years, and any lengthy run is very desirable. An additional difficulty in putting together almost any run of the periodical is that before 1874 the plate volumes and text volumes were published in different formats and have tended to be become separated from each other in the book trade. The present excellent run, bound up for a contemporary private owner using the original printed boards in which the periodical was issued, comprises all the text and plate volumes issued between 1836 and 1880, as well as all the various separately paginated supplements that were issued in the periodical’s earlier years, containing shorter articles, news items and book reviews ; the only comparably complete run for this period recorded by Prause is that at the University of Heidelberg (and it is not in fact clear from Prause’s description whether the run at Heidelberg includes all the supplementary material).