Cambridge, Stevenson (for the Cambridge Camden Society) 1843-4 ; Cambridge, John Thomas Walters 1845 ; London, F. & J.Rivington 1846 ; London, J.Masters 1846-53.
8vo. Vols 1-7, 9-14, bound in 12 vols (lacking vol 8 only for this period). Vols 1 and 2 are bound in contemporary cloth, and the remaining volumes are variously bound in contemporary quarter calf, quarter morocco or quarter roan (vol.11 neatly rebacked). Vol.10 has additionally bound in E.A.Freeman’s rare pamphlet, “Remarks on the nomenclature of Gothic architecture”, Oxford, 1849, 11 + (1)pp ; Vol.11 has bound in, between pp 216 and 217, an 18-page printed report on Repairs and Restoration of St.Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin, undated but c.1850, with 2 accompanying tinted litho plates ; and vol.14 has bound in, at the end, the “Report of the Ecclesiological late Cambridge Camden Society [for the years] MDCCCL LI LII LIII”, London, (1853), (2) + 54 + (8)pp. The volumes derive from various sources, but it should be noted that vols 5-6 (bound together) and vol.11 are from the library of William Charles Luard, Treasurer of the Ecclesiological Society from 1851 to 1853 and a long-standing member of the Society’s Committee.
The longest run that our firm has so far handled of The Ecclesiologist, the controversial and much sought-after mid-nineteenth century periodical on church architecture, providing all the issues for the period November 1841 – December 1853 except for those which comprised vol.8 (July 1847 – July 1848). The Ecclesiologist. The Ecclesiologist was launched in 1841 as the monthly journal of the Cambridge Camden Society, founded in 1839 to encourage the study of mediaeval English ecclesiastical architecture, but which had soon developed into a campaigning organisation, arguing for higher standards in church restoration and in the design of new churches, with special reference to such internal fittings as benches, pews (which the Society opposed) and fonts. The vigorous tone of the Ecclesiologist, edited by the Society’s two most active members, J.M. Neale and Benjamin Webb, and its perceived sympathy with High Church ritual practices, proved too much for some of the Society’s more conservative members, and the third volume was the last to be published under the Society’s auspices ; but the Society immediately took on a new identity as the Ecclesiological Society, and publication of The Ecclesiologist continued, vol 4 appearing as vol 1 of a new series. This new series was still edited by Neale and Webb, and by the date of the publication of vol.14 (New Series vol.11), the last in the present run, contributors included such leading Gothic Revival architects of the period as Scott and Street. Publication was to continue until 1867, but the present run covers the most interesting years in the Ecclesiologist’s history.