A collection of the ancient timber edifices of England.
London, Thomas Maclean 1846.
Large folio. Tinted litho title leaf, litho dedication leaf, (8)pp printed text, 26 tinted litho plates (of which eleven are perspective views, the rest measured drawings). Dedication leaf rather spotted (as often), and some occasional spotting elsewhere, but nonetheless a handsome copy of this impressive publication. Quarter green morocco, original cloth sides. From the library of the Art Workers Guild, with their pictorial bookplate. Also pencil ownership inscription of V.J.Cummings.
A large, handsome and now scarce volume by the architect John Clayton FRIBA (c.1820-1861), in which he provides perspective views and measured illustrations of some of the most notable black-and-white half-timber buildings in Cheshire, Shropshire and his native county of Herefordshire. These include Leominster Town Hall and other buildings attributed to the 17th century carpenter-architect John Abel, a number of country houses including Pitchford Hall and Moreton Hall, and some opulent town houses in Chester and Shrewsbury no longer extant today. Three copies reported to NUC.