A short account of Lichfield Cathedral; more particularly of the painted glass, with which its windows are adorned: intended principally for the information of strangers. Fourth edition, with additions and an engraving.
Lichfield, “printed and sold by T.G.Lomax” 1834.
8vo. Engraved frontispiece, 114 + (2)pp, folding engraved plan of Lady Chapel showing position of stained glass windows. Original stiff blue paper wrappers, limp cloth spine. Pencil ownership inscription of H.Howard (Rev.Henry Howard, Dean of Lichfield), inside front cover. Printed list of cathedral dignitaries on pp 111-2 updated in ink in Howard’s handwriting. A good ink sketch of “Langtons Causeway 1310” (mediaeval bridge leading to Lichfield Cathedral), also in Howard’s hand, inserted at end of volume.
An unexpectedly good guide to Lichfield Cathedral, issued without an author’s name but in fact written by John Chappel Woodhouse, Dean of Lichfield 1807-33. The first edition of the guide had been published in 1811 to celebrate the then recent successful re-erection in the cathedral’s Lady Chapel of nine splendid early sixteenth century stained glass windows from the abbey of Herkenrode (in present-day Belgium), rescued from there by a Derbyshire landowner, Sir Brooke Boothby, Bart., and transported to England during the short interval in the Napoleonic wars created by the Peace of Amiens. The book describes the subject matter of these and other stained glass windows in the cathedral in considerable detail, as well as recording the restoration carried out to its interior by James Wyatt from the late 1780s onwards, the current condition of the mediaeval statues on the cathedral’s west front, and the inscriptions on all the funeral monuments erected inside the cathedral since the 1660s. The present copy belonged to Rev.Henry Edward John Howard (1795-1868), who succeeded Woodhouse as Dean of Lichfield in 1833.