An account of Belsay Castle in the county of Northumberland.
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Mawson Swan and Morgan Limited, 1910 (”printed for private circulation”).
4to. 39 + (1)pp, photogravure frontispiece, (4) photogravure plates, 2 photolitho plates (of which 1 is partly coloured), and woodcut text ills, (6) + (4) + (4) unnumbered pp carrying ground plans, sections and diagrams, also a printed errata slip. Original cloth, top edge gilt. Printed compliments slip from the author loosely inserted. Early twentieth century pictorial bookplate of Lily Dent (a member of the Dent family from nearby Shortflatt Tower).
A handsomely illustrated description by its owner of his ancestral castle, an impressive fifteenth-century fortified tower in Northumberland. His grandfather, Sir Charles Monck, Bart., had moved out of the castle into a nearby new country house, Belsay Hall, built to his own designs from 1807 onwards in a Greek Revival style, and had reduced the castle to the status of being an eye-catching ruin in the new house’s landscaped park. By the end of the nineteenth century authentic mediaeval castellated architecture was back in favour, and the present scarce volume, printed in a small number of copies for private circulation, records the castle as carefully restored for Sir Arthur Middleton in 1897.