An account of Rothesay Castle.
Greenock, printed by William Scott (for the author) 1816.
8vo. 13+(1)pp, engraved plan. Recent quarter calf, marbled board sides. The plan, which is slightly browned, has been trimmed by a previous binder from a larger piece of printed paper, with apparent loss of another, possibly unrelated, engraved image at top.
A brief privately printed history of Rothesay Castle on the Isle of Bute, from its first mention in history (a siege by Norwegians in the thirteenth century) to its destruction in the late seventeenth century by the Earl of Argyll and his brother. It describes the surviving fabric, and there is an accompanying engraved ground plan from a drawing by the author. The account was doubtless published to coincide with the start of restoration work commissioned by the third Marquis of Bute in 1816-1817. Not in British Library.