Join Our Mailing List

+44 (0) 1590 624 455

Whewell, Rev.W.

Architectural notes on German churches ; with notes written during an architectural tour in Picardy and Normandy. The third edition, to which are added notes on the churches of the Rhine, by M. F. de Lassaulx, Architectural Inspector to the King of Prussia.

Cambridge, J. & J.J.Deighton 1842 (“printed at the University Press”).

Reference: 11674
Price: £95 [convert currency]

Full Description

8vo. xv + (1) + 333 + (1)pp, 4 engraved plates (the plates slightly spotted), 16pp publishers’ adverts. Publisher’s cloth, chipped at head and foot of spine. Messy ink ownership inscription of Edward Thurlow, 3rd Baron Thurlow FSA (1814-1857), 28 November 1844 (Thurlow had been an undergraduate at Trinity College, Cambridge, while Whewell had been a college tutor there). Subsequent pencil ownership inscription of Humphry House, literary scholar (see ODNB).

Third and fullest edition of Whewell’s treatise on German church architecture, especially good on churches of the late Romanesque period and on the origins of the Gothic style. It incorporates notes on French Gothic architecture made by Whewell on a tour in Northern France with Thomas Rickman in 1831, and also a translation into English of passages contributed by Lassaulx to a contemporary guide book to the Rhine.