Architectural notices of the churches of the Archdeaconry of Northampton. Deaneries of Higham Ferrers and Haddon.
London, John Henry Parker 1849 (but issued in parts 1846-9).
4to. xii + 283 + (5)pp, (39) steel engraved plates (mostly india-paper proofs), many woodcut text ills. Bound in fifteeen separately published parts as issued, each in its original printed paper wrappers (the wrappers of parts 1 and 15 slightly abraded at outer margins, parts 5, 6, and 8 with minor stains at top right hand outer corners).
A scholarly and well-produced volume devoted to the mediaeval churches in two deaneries of the Archdeaconry of Northampton, here found, very unusually, in the original fifteen parts in which it was issued over a four-year period. As an advertisement leaf bound up with the first part puts it, “in the beauty of the churches, this archdeaconry yields only to Lincolnshire ; in their interest as affording a chronological series … the churches of this archdeaconry are quite without a parallel in any distrcit of the same extent in the kingdom”. The volume was produced under the supervision of an editorial committee whose membership included E.A.Freeman and M.H.Bloxam, but although Freeman contributed the lengthy description of the church at Higham Ferrers with which the volume commences, the most prolific subsequent contributor was Rev.G.A.Poole, “Secretary to the Committeee of Editors” and a well-known writer on English mediaeval church architecture. The survival of the present copy in its original parts has preserved not merely the advertisement leaf and associated publisher’s catalogue bound at the end of the first part but also other incidental printed material not found in copies bound up in 1849 or later ; thus, the back cover of part 1 provides a list of the initial subscribers, part 5 contains a revised printed advertisement and an expanded subscribers’ list, parts 12, 13 and 14 have added printed slips tipped in, and part 15 contains a printed errata slip.