Wilson, Rev. H.B.

Brief notices of the fabric and glebe of Saint Mary Aldermary, in the city of London.

London, W. Pickering (and R. Jennings & Co.) 1840.

Reference: 05785
Price: £135 [convert currency]

Full Description

Large 8vo. (4) + 40pp, 2 litho plates. Recent boards.

A scarce monograph on the church of St. Mary Aldermary, written by its then Rector and of interest to architectural historians because it incorporates data supplied by the architect T.L.Walker proving that the present church, designed by Wren, was erected on the foundations of the previous church on the site. The author’s motives were however by no means pure, for his immediate reason for the publication was to register his injured feelings at the compulsory purchase for road widening of an adjacent strip of glebe land, and he does not create sympathy for himself by an admission that his opposition to this was mainly caused by his having very recently let a property on the land in question to a butcher for a rent of £40 p.a. Not in BAL Cat.

Leave a comment