Four churches in the deanery of Buckrose restored or built by the late George Edmund Street, R.A., for Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart.
London, printed by James Akerman nd (1894).
Folio. (8) + 15 + (1)pp, 21 photolitho plates. Original gilt stamped cloth (by Potter & Sons, York). Very light browning to plates from tissue guards, otherwise a good copy. Contemporary ink ownership inscription of William Laycock. Subsequently owned by Edward Hubbard, architectural historian, with an inscription recording that he purchased the copy from the bookseller E.Seligmann, 25 Cecil Court.
A handsome volume recording four of a number of churches designed or restored by Street for Sir Tatton Sykes (1826-1913), a major landowner in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Although Street’s most celebrated buildings are well recorded in the architectural literature of the time, his numerous country churches are less familiar, and the present volume, presumably produced for private distribution by the Sykes family, shows the skill and taste which Street brought even to the most minor commissions. It carries no date but the British Library Catalogue assigns it to 1894, as we do here.