Join Our Mailing List

+44 (0) 1590 624 455

Vincent, L.H., Mackay, E.J.H., & Abel, F.M.

Hébron. Le Haram El-Khalil. Sépulture des patriarches.

Paris, Editions Ernest Leroux 1923.

Reference: 5273
Price: £495 [convert currency]

Full Description

Large folio. 2 vols. vi + 256 + (2)pp, 86 text ills, many photo ; vi pp, 28 plates (some photo, rest reproductions of measured drawings). Text vol in publisher’s printed wrappers, neatly repaired at spine, and plate vol in publisher’s printed board portfolio, rebacked.

The definitive early twentieth century publication on the complex of buildings known as the Tomb of the Patriarchs at Hebron. The authors show that the mosque which houses the patriarchal cenotaphs is in essence a twelfth century church in the Gothic style, built as a replacement for a Byzantine basilica previously occupying the same site, and although they are not to able to be as specific about the site’s previous history , they assign a probable Herodian date to the impressive outer enceinte. This excellent book was a collaborative enterprise between the French Dominican scholars Vincent and Abel, and E.J.H. Mackay FSA, then Inspector of Antiquities for the British Administration in Palestine, while it also benefited from photographs of the buildings supplied by K.A.C. Creswell, the historian of mediaeval Islamic architecture in the Near East. Copies are not easy to locate in the book trade today.