Historical notes on the church of Saint Cuthbert, in Wells ; the priory of St.John, college of La Mountery, and chapels formerly at Southover, Southway, Polsham, and Chilcote.
Wells, J.M.Atkins & E.M.Beauchamp 1875.
8vo. (8) + 154 + (2)pp, 2 autotype photo plates, 7 other plates (3 woodcut, 2 anastatic litho, 2 photolitho). Publisher’s cloth. Ownership inscription, dated 1878, of the local Somerset antiquary Rev.F.J.Poynton, who has made various pencil corrections and addenda to the text.
A scholarly little book, very typical of its date, by a local amateur historian, dealing at length with the history, fittings and records of this fine Perpendicular parish church in Wells, Somerset. One chapter describes “late restorations and improvements”, including an elaborate new reredos by the sculptor James Forsyth.