Prickett, (Rev.) Marmaduke
History of the priory church of Bridlington, in the East Riding of the county of York. A new edition.
Cambridge, printed for T.Stevenson (and others) 1836.
8vo. (9) + pp vi-xi + (1) + 131 + (3)pp, (12) engraved plates (first plate bound as frontispiece, last plate an engraved map of Bridlington and its vicinity), also 2 folding litho plates bound in after p.50. Original boards with publisher’s cloth spine (the spine cracking at joints and slightly defective). Ink presentation inscription from author to J.G.Foyster (presumably Rev.John Goodge Foyster, Church of England clergyman). Later ink presentation inscription dated 9 November 1899 from Rev.P.Castellano, Market Weighton, to Fr.Hale, Bridlington (both Roman Catholic priests). Also recent book label of Leslie Powell. An early twentieth century folding plan offering a conjectural reconstruction of Bridlington Priory in the middle ages loosely inserted.
An 1836 reissue of this competent monograph by a Cambridge academic on Bridlington Priory, of which the fine surviving mediaeval nave was reused as Bridlington’s parish church at the Reformation (and which is well illustrated on accompanying engraved plates supplied by James and H.S.Storer). The author records his thanks to “Thomas Rickman, architect, for his kindness in looking over the architectural part of this work, and for several useful suggestions”. The first edition had appeared in 1831 and a second, revised edition had followed in 1835, of which the present edition is a reissue. BAL Cat 2626 (this edition).