Illustrations of Bishop West’s chapel, in Putney church, Surrey. With a brief notice of the founder.
London, Carpenter & Son 1825.
Folio. 16pp, decorative litho title leaf, 12 litho plates (all litho ills are india-paper proofs). Publisher’s pictorial wrappers (with vignette illustration of Putney Church from a drawing by Jackson), neatly rebacked. Wrappers a little worn at outer margins.
A scarce book with elegantly drawn plates, devoted to the fine early 16th century fan-vaulted chapel built by Bishop West of Ely in Putney church. It was the joint work of two young men then working in the London office of the architect P.F.Robinson, both of whom were to have successful architectural practices later on, Jackson at Leamington and Andrews at York, and it reflects considerable credit on them. It is also one of the relatively few books which reflect the fact that in the 1820s the version of Gothic chosen by fashionable architects who wanted to design mediaeval-looking country houses or churches was a late Perpendicular style similar to that of this chapel. Colvin does not note this book in his entry for John George Jackson, and omits G.T.Andrews from recent editions of his Biographical Dictionary as being an architect of the Victorian period (somewhat unfairly, for Andrews’s architectural career was far enough advanced by 1836 that he was one of the earliest Fellows of the RIBA). The present copy is the first that we have had through our hands since 1995. BAL Cat 1605.