La basilique de St Marc à Venise étudiée au double point de vue de l’art et de l’histoire sous la direction du Prof.Camillo Boito. Traduction d’Alfred Cruvellié.
(Venezia, Ferdinando Ongania), 1889.
4to. 3 parts bound in 2, containing in all 1038pp (last two pages misnumbered 1137-8). Contemporary quarter red morocco (with gilt-stamped images of Lion of St.Mark on spines), cloth sides, top edges gilt, with original decorative printed part covers bound in. Engraved armorial bookplates of the Liverpool-based architect James O’Byrne (1835-1897).A good, partly unopened copy.
A French-language version of the volume of explanatory text issued to accompany the great series of chromolithograph and photographic plates of St.Mark’s, Venice, published by Ongania between 1878 and 1888. It provides a very extensive and detailed account of the history, architecture and internal decoration of the basilica, running to over a thousand pages, and is well worth having on its own, as indeed was intended by Ongania himself. Although we list it here under the name of the distinguished Milanese architect Camillo Boito, whose name appears on the title leaf, much of the credit for the volume belongs to Ongania, who edited it and recruited a team of contributors to write on separate aspects of the building. Similarly, the chapters on the architecture of St.Mark’s were not written by Boito but by the young Venetian scholar Raffaele Cattaneo (1861-89).