La patriarcale basilica Lateranense illustrata per cura di Agostino Valentini descritta di Filippo Gerardi.
Roma, Agostino Valentini 1832, 1834.
Large folio. 2 vols bound in 1. (6) + 82 + (2)pp, 56 engraved plates ; 90pp, 80 engraved plates. Contemporary quarter calf, gilt spine, marbled boards. Ink ownership inscription of Ed(ward ?) Caldwell (or Cardwell ?) on first half-title leaf.
A substantial publication devoted to the Lateran Basilica in Rome, notable for its very large linear engravings which provide extensive coverage of the numerous sculptures and wall paintings in the interior of the building, as well as ground plans and perspective views. Gerardi’s text is based on previous histories of the building, but adds descriptions of tombs and other features added during and after the basilica’s restoration by the architect Alessandro Galilei in the 1730s. Valentini subsequently issued similar volumes devoted to St.Peter’s and to Sta.Maria Maggiore. Not in BAL Cat (which is slightly surprising).