Le palais impérial de Constantinople et ses abords, Sainte-Sophie, le Forum Augustéon et l’Hippodrome, tels qu’ils existaient au dixième siècle.
Paris, Victor Didron 1861.
4to. (4) + 240pp, 3 folding litho plans (two partly coloured, and all three rather browned and spotted). Late nineteenth century quarter morocco, cloth sides. Extensive marginal annotations in pencil in English in a contemporary hand. No ownership inscription but we understand that the volume is from the library of Rev.Dr.Robert Frew (see discussion above).
First edition. Labarte’s scholarly reconstruction of the plan of the original palace of the Byzantine emperors of Constantinople and its adjacent buildings, based on information in a tenth century manuscript compiled by the Emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitus, has been the foundation for all subsequent research on the subject. The evidence of the manuscript is especially significant, as the palace itself seems to have passed into oblivion even before the fall of Constantinople in 1453.The present copy belonged to Rev.Dr.Robert Frew, a Scottish Presbyterian minister who was pastor of the Union Church, Pera, Istanbul, from 1902 to 1924. It carries extensive marginal annotations in pencil in English, possibly by Frew himself but more probably by a scholar of an old generation, e.g. Alexander Van Millingen, since the annotations have been shaved at their margins by a binder, and thus predate the volume’s present binding.