L’église et les mosaïques du couvent de Saint-Luc en Phocide.
Paris, Ernest Thorin 1889.
Price: £85 [convert currency]
8vo. (4) + 121 + (1)pp.Publisher’s printed wrappers. A good copy.
Not as familiar to English-speaking readers as, and not as substantial as, the monograph devoted to this very impressive tenth-century church in Northern Greece by Robert Weir Schultz and Sidney Barnsley, published in 1901 (see that title), but well worth having on its own account. Its author, the French Byzantinist Charles Diehl (1859-1944), was the leading expert of his time on the art and architecture of Greece, Turkey and the Near East under Byzantine rule, and his careful descriptions of the church’s architecture and of its extensive mosaic decorations remain reliable.