Henry, Paul

Les églises de la Moldavie du nord des origines au fin de la XVIe siècle.

Paris, Ernest Leroux 1930.

Reference: 00626
Price: £285 [convert currency]

Full Description

Large folio. 2 vols in 1. (6) + iv + 320pp, 3 folding litho plates ; (6) + x pp, 68 photo plates. Contemporary cloth, original front printed wrappers bound in.

A good and well-illustrated large format monograph by a French scholar on the distinctive 15th and 16th century churches of the former principality of Moldavia (now within Roumania), mostly dating from the time of Prince Stephen the Great (1457-1504) and containing some remarkable frescoes of ultimate Byzantine inspiration. The subject is one not well covered elsewhere, and the numerous photo plates remain valuable as a record of the churches’ pre-Second World War appearance.

Leave a comment