Join Our Mailing List

+44 (0) 1590 624 455

Trotter, Alexander

Observations by Alexander Trottter, Esq., of Dreghorn, in illustration of his modified plan of a communication between the New and Old Town of Edinburgh.

Edinburgh, Laing & Forbes (and London, R. Ackermann) 1834.

Reference: 14166
Price: £280 [convert currency]

Full Description

4to. (6) + 24pp, litho frontispiece (soiled and creased at one upper blank corner), litho plan. Recent boards, with ink presentation inscription from Trotter to “Mr Wood” (?) on a soiled preliminary blank leaf.

A follow-up by Alexander Trotter (1755-1842) to his proposal of 1828-9 for the levelling of the Mound (now a flat plateau between Edinburgh’s New and Old Towns), the provision of a new road communication across it to link the New Town and the Old Town, and the construction on the Mound of a handsome neoclassical shopping arcade that would complement W.H. Playfair’s newly built Royal Institution building (now the Royal Scottish Academy) elsewhere on the same site. By 1834 Trotter had been persuaded that there would be no public support for further building on The Mound, and his present proposals concentrate on the road system and associated public works. The present publication is rarer than Trotter’s original published proposal and does not appear to be widely held even in older libraries. Not in BAL Cat.