Parish churches ; being perspective views of English ecclesiastical structures : accompanied by plans drawn to a uniform scale, and letter-press descriptions.
London, George Bell 1848.
8vo. (14) + 126pp, (160) litho plates (98 perspective views, remainder plans, of which two folding). Publisher’s blind stamped cloth, neatly rebacked using original spine, with new endpapers. Jill Allibone’s copy, with her bookplate.
The Brandon brothers’ objective was to provide accurate illustrations and measured plans of representative English mediaeval parish churches, both to encourage public interest in the restoration of such churches and to provide examples suitable for copying by architects of their own time (the Brandon brothers were architects themselves, and Raphael Brandon is best known as the architect of the former Catholic Apostolic church in Gordon Square, London). The sixty-three churches chosen for illustration are predominantly in East Anglia and the East Midlands. The book had originally been issued in parts between March 1846 and November 1847, but this is the first collected edition, with an added dedication to J.Arthur Brandon, who had died on 11 December 1847.