Plans of the sacred edifices of the Holy Land. Translated from the Italian by Fr.Theophilus Bellorini O.F.M. and Fr.Eugene Hoade O.F.M. with a preface and notes by Fr.Bellarmino Bagatti, O.F.M.
Jerusalem, Franciscan Press 1953.
4to. viii + 147 + (1)pp, including 15 text ills and also, included in the volume’s pagination,facsimile reproductions of the plates in the 1620 edition of Amico’s book (some folding). Publisher’s printed wrappers. In good condition. No ownership inscription, but John Bury’s copy, with an inserted typed letter, signed, from Fr.Boniface Kruger, Franciscan Study Centre, Canterbury.
A translation into English of a well-known publication on the Holy Places by F.Bernardino Amico, an Observant Friar, originally published in 1609, with illustrations engraved from Amico’s drawings by Antonio Tempesta, but reissued in 1620 with better illustrations engraved by Jacques Callot. It is the edition of 1620 that is the basis for the present volume, in which the translation of Amico’s text is prefaced by an extensive preface by Fr.Bagatti.