Associated Architectural Societies
Reports and Papers.
Nottingham & Lincoln, 1850-1904.
8vo. Vols. 1-27, lacking part for year 1856 only, uniformly bound in parts in original printed wrappers as issued (some part wrappers defective). The set derives from the library of the late John Harvey FSA, the historian of English mediaeval architecture. We offer with them the separately published printed indices for 1850-66, 1867-78, 1879-88, and 1889-1900.
A long run of this periodical, providing essential evidence for the activities of provincial English architectural societies in the second half of the nineteenth century. The particular societies concerned, chiefly based in the East Midlands but including those at York and Worcester, found it convenient to make joint arrangements for the publication and distribution of their annual reports and of the papers read at their meetings, and the resulting volumes of Reports and Papers reflect the prevailing interests of the local architects and antiquaries who belonged to these organisations. Church architecture is a principal topic, with contributions both from leading architects of the time and from such historians of the subject as M.H. Bloxam, G.A. Poole and Mackenzie Walcott. There is also much recondite information on local history and topography, reflecting the fact that local architectural societies were often also a focus for historical and archaeological research. Publication of this periodical was to continue until 1937, but it gradually lost impetus in the early twentieth century and the nineteenth century volumes are the most useful.