Some account of the chapel of Harrow School.
Harrow on the Hill, Crossley and Clarke 1860.
8vo. (2) + 22 + (4)pp (full-age actual photograph of the east window of the chapel’s south aisle mounted as frontispiece on verso of half title leaf, with printed caption beneath). Original limp cloth, with decorative printed label on upper cover.
A publication devoted to Harrow School’s new chapel, designed by the architect George Gilbert Scott in Decorated Gothic style in 1854-7. Its most conspicuous architectural feature, added as an afterthought after construction had started, was an impressive south aisle commemorating former pupils at the School who had died in the Crimean War. The text incorporates full descriptions of the chapel’s stained glass windows, variously supplied by William Wailes, Lusson (Paris), and Clayton and Bell, as well as transcriptions of the inscriptions on the memorial tablets in the south aisle, and two poems signed F.W.F., which are early literary compositions by the future Dean Farrar, then a young assistant master at the school. It seems to be scarce and is an addition to more familiar publications on buildings designed by Scott.