Join Our Mailing List

+44 (0) 1590 624 455

Barker, W.R.

St Mark’s; or, The Mayor’s Chapel, Bristol, (formerly called the Church of the Gaunts).

Bristol, W.C. Hemons 1892.

Reference: 5969
Price: £45 [convert currency]

Full Description

4to. (14)+217+(1)pp, woodcut frontis, 18 woodcut and litho plates & plans. Publisher’s quarter cloth. Large paper copy, one of 200 printed. Slight damage to lower left hand corner of dedication page. Two pictorial early 20th century bookplates of Amelia & Mary Gurney.

A detailed history of the thirteenth century chapel of St Mark’s, Bristol, and surrounding buildings (though only the chapel now survives) and an account of its restoration by the distinguished late Victorian architect J.L.Pearson. The work is split into two sections, historical and descriptive, the latter with illustrations of the interior of the chapel.