C(olvile), F(rederick) L(eigh)
Stoneleigh Abbey, from its foundation to the present time.
Warwick, “Henry T.Cooke, printer, High Street” 1850.
Tall 8vo. Woodcut frontispiece, title leaf, contents leaf, 54pp, 1 chromolitho plate illustrating encaustic tiles, 2 double-page litho plans (partly hand-coloured), 1 double-page printed genealogical table, numerous woodcut ills. Original blind-stamped cloth, neatly rebacked. One of 50 copies only. Ink presentation inscription from the author to C.R.Colvile (his cousin, Charles Robert Colvile, a well-known Peelite/Liberal MP).
A rare monograph/guide book devoted to Stoneleigh Abbey, Warwickshire, a mediaeval Cistercian monastery converted into a country house and principal residence for the Leigh family, Lords Leigh. Its title leaf records “only 50 copies privately printed”. Its author, Rev.Frederick Leigh Colvile (1819-1886), Vicar of Leek Wooton, Warwickshire, and Domestic Chaplain to the then Lord Leigh, is self-effacing – the only indication of his authorship are the initials F.L.C. below the end of the text on p.52 – but the passages of text describing the surviving mediaeval parts of the building were supplied by the very competent Gothic architecture specialist Matthew Holbeche Bloxam, with good accompanying woodcut illustrations, and there are lists of the principal paintings in the state rooms in the more recent part of the house, designed and built for the 3rd Lord Leigh (of the first creation) by the architect Francis Smith in the 1720s. Two accompanying ground plans were drawn for Colvile by a local architect from Leamington, John George Jackson (c.1799-1851).