The architecture of the Italian renaissance. Translated by James Palmes. Revised and edited by Peter Murray.
London, Secker and Warburg 1985.
Folio. xxxv + (1) + 283 + (1)pp, 351 text ills. Publisher’s cloth, in dustwrapper. James Stirling’s copy.
Surprisingly, the first English language edition of this influential book on Italian renaissance architecture by the great Swiss art historian Jacob Burckhardt (1818-1897), first published in 1867 (although Murray follows the text of later editions published from 1891 onwards).