The buildings erected at Port Sunlight and Thornton Hough. Paper read by W.H.Lever, at a meeting of The Architectural Association, London, March 21st, 1902.
(Port Sunlight, “printed by Lever Brothers Limited”, for private circulation), 1902.
4to. 28pp, colour folding plan, 22 litho plates (illustrating ground plans), many photo text ills. Original printed wrappers, limp cloth spine, the upper and lower covers rather spotted and marked. Ink ownership inscription of Segar Owen on upper cover.
Illustrated text of a lecture delivered at the Architectural Association in March 1902 by William Hesketh Lever, subsequently 1st Viscount Leverhulme (1851-1925), industrialist, philanthropist and Liberal Party politician, describing the model village erected by him for the employees at Lever Brothers’ works at Port Sunlight, Cheshire, as well as new cottages built by him at the existing village of Thornton Hough. Photos in the text and numerous accompanying ground plans give a good idea of the architectural character of the buildings at Port Sunlight, which included a village hall, a dining hall “devoted entirely to the use of the women and girls of the works and village”, a men’s social club, a school and so on. The architects employed at Port Sunlight and at Thornton Hough were William & Segar Owen, Grayson & Ould, Douglas & Fordham and J.J.Talbot, each credited for their individual buildings in the text and plates.Although the lecture was delivered at the Architectural Association, it is clear that Lever himself was personally responsible for its publication in the present form, evidently intended for circulation among his business colleagues and friends. The number of copies printed is unknown, but it is interesting that the present copy carries the ownership inscription of Segar Owen (1874-1929), ARIBA 1896, FRIBA 1906, at this date a partner with his father William Owen in an architectural partnership based in Warrington, Cheshire. The Owens, father and son, seem to have been Lever’s preferred architects at the Port Sunlight site, and the handsome neo-classical Lady Lever Art Gallery there was to be built later on from designs supplied by Segar Owen.