Street, George Edmund
The cathedral of the Holy Trinity, commonly called Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin. An account of the restoration of the fabric … with an historical sketch of the cathedral … and a dedication, by Sir Theodore Martin.
London, Sutton Sharpe & Co 1882.
Large folio. xii + 173 + (1)pp, 10 steel-engraved plates (7 on india paper), 9 wood-engraved plates (on india paper), and 5 chromolitho plates, also 4 wood-engraved text ills (on india paper). Publisher’s full vellum, richly decorated in red and gold (binding designed by Street). Centre of lower cover rubbed with some loss of surface decoration. Some intermittent light spotting. Publisher’s presentation copy, with presentation inscription dated Jul 1889 on half-title leaf.
A very substantial volume in which Street describes his “restoration” of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, carried out between 1871 and 1878. It could more accurately be described as rebuilding, for Street demolished the existing choir and the adjacent remains of a lady chapel, as well as tampering with the nave, and Street was thus able to give the cathedral an overall architectural character which it had previously lacked. The account of the restoration was Street’s last piece of writing, completed a few days before his death, and the book is an impressive record of one of his most prestigious architectural commissions.