The chapel of the most excellent Order of the British Empire.
Oxford, printed for the Order of the British Empire 1973.
Price: £8 [convert currency]
4to. xiii+(1)+68pp, numerous colour & b+w photo ills. Publisher’s cloth, with star of the Order gilt-stamped on upper cover.
A description of the chapel of the Order of the British Empire located in the crypt of St. Paul’s, the official church of the Order since 1957. The crypt was already architecturally significant, featuring vaults designed by Wren himself, and the neo-Georgian style of Lord Mottistone, the cathedral surveyor who designed the new chapel, suited the space well. Hood, a former sub-dean of the Order, gives a concise but authoritative history of the chapel with some good illustrations.