The church of Saint Eirene at Constantinople … with an historical notice by Alexander Van Millingen … and an appendix on the monument of Porphyrios by A.M.Woodward (and) A.J.B.Wace.
London, Oxford University Press (for Byzantine Research Fund) nd (1912).
Folio. xiv + 87 + (1)pp, 29 plates (of which 2 chromolitho, 11 photo, remainder plans and measured drawings). Publisher’s cloth, slightly rubbed at foot of spine. Presentation copy (so described on printed card pasted to front free endpaper).
A handsome volume which was the second monograph in the Byzantine Research Fund series. It provides a careful illustrated account of this well-preserved sixth-eighth century church, which had previously attracted the attention of Choisy. The book’s author, Walter Sykes George, a Soane Medallist of the RIBA, writes intelligently on the church’s vaulting and construction.