The church of Sancta Sophia Constantinople. A study of Byzantine building.
London, Macmillan & Co. 1894.
8vo. viii + 307 + (1)pp, 75 text ills. Publisher’s cloth,with printed paper label on spine. Ink presentation inscription from J(ohn) B(agnell) B(ury) to his wife Jane Bury, December 1894. No subsequent ownership inscription, but subsequently in the possession of John Bernard Bury (1917-2017), J.B.Bury’s grandson.
First edition of Lethaby and Swainson’s excellent book on the church of Hagia Sophia in Constantinople, based on the authors’ personal investigation of the building and their familiarity with all the older literature on it. The present copy, appropriately, was a gift from John Bagnell Bury (1861-1927), the eminent historian of Greece, Rome and the Byzantine empire, to his wife, in the year of the book’s publication. It also contains, loosely inserted at the end, a gilt-decorated Christmas card, dated December 1910, with a printed inscription in Greek from Johannes Gennadius, at that time Greek Ambassador in London, but better known as a scholar and book collector.