The church of the Nativity at Bethlehem. By W. Harvey, W.R. Lethaby, O.M. Dalton, H.A.A. Cruso and A.C. Headlam. Illustrated from drawings and photographs by W. Harvey and others.
London, B.T. Batsford (for Byzantine Research Fund) 1910.
Folio. xi + (1) + 76pp, photo frontispiece, 12 plates (2 double-page chromolitho, rest photo or plans). Publisher’s cloth, a little bumped at head and foot of spine and a little worn at outer corners, covers also slightly marked. In good condition internally.
The first of the Byzantine Research Fund’s monographs, providing the first accurate twentieth-century description of the fourth-century church of the Nativity and of its remarkable mosaic decoration completed in the reign of King Amaury of Jerusalem (1163-73). The fieldwork for it was done by the architect William Harvey, under whose name it is sometimes catalogued, but much of the credit for this impressive folio volume as published is due to Lethaby, Dalton and Weir Schultz.