The new architecture and the Bauhaus. Translated from the German by P. Morton Shand with an introduction by Frank Pick.
London, Faber & Faber Ltd 1935.
8vo. 80pp, 16 photo plates. Publisher’s cloth, a little dusty. Brian Housden’s copy.
First edition of this classic work. Gropius had emigrated to England from Germany along with other German colleagues the previous year, and set up in practice in London with Maxwell Fry. He was probably hoping to change something of the stick-in-the-mud attitude of the English architectural establishment through this lucid account of the growth, development and principles of the International Modern movement in Germany, naturally focusing on the achievements of the Bauhaus.