The new architecture and the Bauhaus. Translated from the German by P. Morton Shand with an introduction by Frank Pick.
London, Faber & Faber Ltd 1935.
8vo. 80pp, 16 photo plates. Publisher’s cloth, in remains of original dustwrapper (the wrapper designed by Moholy-Nagy, but now torn and defective). A good copy otherwise. Gavin Stamp’s copy, with his booklabel.
First edition of this classic work. Gropius had emigrated to England from Germany along with other German colleagues the previous year, and set up in practice in London with Maxwell Fry. He was probably hoping to change something of the stick-in-the-mud attitude of the English architectural establishment through this lucid account of the growth, development and principles of the International Modern movement in Germany, naturally focusing on the achievements of the Bauhaus.