Join Our Mailing List

+44 (0) 1590 624 455

Gropius, Walter

The new architecture and the Bauhaus. Translated from the German by P. Morton Shand with an introduction by Frank Pick.

London, Faber & Faber Ltd 1955.

Reference: 9750
Price: £35 [convert currency]

Full Description

8vo. 80pp, 16 photo plates. Publisher’s cloth.

Unchanged reissue of the 1935 first edition (described as its “second impression”). Gropius had emigrated to England from Germany in 1934, and had set up in practice in London in partnership with Maxwell Fry. He was probably hoping to change something of the stick-in-the-mud attitude of the English architectural establishment through this lucid account of the growth, development and principles of the International Modern movement in Germany, naturally focusing on the achievements of the Bauhaus.