The story of Christ Church St. Leonard’s-on-Sea. Edited by A. Clifton Kelway, with introduction by the Rev. Bernard Moultrie, Rector of Christ Church.
St Leonard’s-on-Sea, C. Whittaker, Royal Victoria Library 1909.
Folio. ix+(1)+79+(1)pp, photo portrait frontis, (15) photo plates. Recent cloth. Some light foxing, and light browning to edges of some pages, small marginal tear to one page. Roderick Gradidge’s copy (bookplate).
An uncommon volume providing a detailed record of the history of the East Sussex church and its parish. The surviving church was designed by Arthur Blomfield and built by the Dove Brothers between 1873 and 1894, under the direction of the Rev. C.L. Vaughan. Despite the church’s architectural merit, the majority of this volume is devoted to happenings in the parish and the work of Vaughan and his successors, although the finances of the construction of the church and occasions such as the laying of the foundation stone (by Beresford Hope) are meticulously recorded.