Three lectures on architecture in England, from the earliest to the present time.
London, David Bogue (and Northampton, T.Walesby) 1843.
8vo. xii + (6) + 124pp, 12 outline litho plates. Contemporary gilt-panelled purple calf, gilt spine, all edges gilt (probably the customary binding commissioned by the author for presentation copies of this title). Author’s presentation copy to his cousin Hyla Holden, with ink inscription by him dated 1850. Later ink ownership inscription of Rory (?) Harvey, 1946. A little spotting on plates but nonetheless a good copy.
First and only edition of a rare volume printing the text of three lectures on church architecture, delivered by the volume’s author, Rev.Henry Rose (1781-1855), Rector of Brington, Northamptonshire, to members of the Northampton Society for the Diffusion of Religious and Useful Knowledge. This may not sound immediately promising, but the lectures have a good deal of substance, and the author makes a genuine attempt to explain the history and development of English church architecture, without much acknowledged reliance on previous publications other than the Bible and the works of Sir Walter Scott (although he was clearly familiar with the writings of Britton and Rickman). Beyond that, what gives the book a definite individuality is that the author’s narrative is supported throughout by examples taken from local Northamptonshire churches. Similarly, the simple outline images and plans shown on the volume’s plates are nearly all taken either from Peterborough Cathedral or from churches within the county. Surprisingly, he is not much of a fan of “revived pointed architecture”, although he sees more merit in it than he does in the “revived Italian style”, either as exemplified in the parish churches of Daventry and Banbury or in grander churches elsewhere. We have not previous handled a copy of this title.