Harrison, James Park

Views and details of Saint Giles’ church, Oxford.

Oxford, John Henry Parker for the Architectural Society 1842.

Reference: 04553
Price: £175 [convert currency]

Full Description

Folio. Litho frontis, litho title, 12pp, 14 litho plates (of which 6 double-page). Recent cloth.

This describes and illustrates one of Oxford’s principal mediaeval parish churches after its partial restoration by the architect J.M.Derick in 1840-1 (it was later more comprehensively restored by other hands). It also serves to show the standard of illustration and description aimed at by the Oxford Architectural Society in its period of greatest activity as an Oxford-based equivalent of the Cambridge Camden Society in the early 1840s. The Society’s folio size volumes are all uncommon today.

Leave a comment