William Wyrcestre redivivus. Notices of ancient church architecture, in the fifteenth century, particularly in Bristol. With hints for practicable restorations.
Bristol, “printed by J.M.Gutch for J.Norton” (and others) nd (but dedication dated 1 Jan 1823).
4to. 2 works in 1. xi+(2)+pp14-33+(1)pp, inc. title leaf printed in red and black with bistre woodcut pictorial initial, 4 woodcut pictorial initials within text, 13 text ills (of which are 10 bistre woodcuts and 3 engraved), 1 engr plate; 15 + (1)pp. Contemporary full diced calf, spine faded. Contemporary ink ownership inscription of John Rocke Hoyle (and his signature “Hoyle’ on title leaf of second item in volume). Later nineteenth century pictorial bookplate of John E.Pritchard.
The present book, scarce today, opens with a vivider than usual account of the medieval church architecture of the city of Bristol, put into the mouth of the fifteenth century building surveyor William of Worcester by the book’s author, the topographer, antiquary and proto-architectural historian James Dallaway (Dallaway was later to edit William of Worcester’s surviving manuscript Itinerarium, as part of his Antiquities of Bristow, 1834). Dallaway then proceeds to make suggestions for the restoration of the tower of St Mary, Redcliffe, with views showing the church as it then stood and how it might appear. The book is illustrated by some fine woodcuts and engraved vignette illustrations, including designs marking the end of each chapter, drawn and engraved by T. King of Chichester. BAL Cat 779.It is bound with a copy of Rev.W.L.Nichols, Horae Romanae : or a Visit to a Roman Villa, Bath, R.Riviere 1838, which comprises a four-page description of the then recent discovery of a Roman villa and accompanying mosaic pavements at Newton St.Loe, near Bath, and a poem, “Horae Romanae”, in which the author visualises the last days of the villa under Roman occupation.