Yorkshire. Historic notices of Rotherham : ecclesiastical, collegiate, and civil.
Worksop, Robert White 1879.
Folio. xii + (2) + 708pp, frontispiece, (22) plates (mostly litho, but including one mounted photo plate and one colour plate), folding genealogical table and double-page facsimile of document, with accompanying publisher’s advert leaf. Publisher’s cloth, rebacked using original spine. Frank Broomhead’s copy, with his bookplate.
A huge volume, written by a local antiquary, providing the reader with everything that he might need to know about the history of Rotherham from the earliest times to the 1870s. It is founded throughout on documentary evidence and includes a full description of the parish church as restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the 1870s. To those outside the Rotherham area, Rotherham might seem a town of no great significance, but the town was an important centre for iron manufacture, and by the 1870s Rotherham claimed to possess “the largest stove grate works, the largest railway wheel works, and the largest water works’ articles manufactory in the world”.