(Milne, Rev. Adam)
A description of the parish of Melrose. In answer to Mr Maitland’s queries, sent to each parish of the kingdom.
Edinburgh, “printed for John Martin, and sold by him at Melrose” 1794.
12mo. 71 + (1)pp. Recent boards. Shaved by a previous binder at upper margins, with partial loss of running title at head of some pages.
William Maitland (c.1693-1757), author of substantial illustrated books on the cities of London and Edinburgh, also circularised Church of Scotland ministers with a view to obtaining from them notes on the history and antiquities of each Scottish parish. Only a minority of them responded, so nothing came of the project, but an Edinburgh publisher issued as early as 1743 a printed text of the manuscript supplied by the local Church of Scotland minister in Melrose, Roxburghshire. This incorporated a description from his personal knowledge of the ruins of Melrose Abbey, and was sufficiently good to be reissued in 1748 and again in 1794 ; all of these printings are however now scarce, NUC listing just one copy of the present printing (Buffalo Public Library).